Recently, the problem of gambling addiction has become an extremely popular phenomenon. This is due to the widespread distribution of online slot machines, many new online casinos, as well as bookmakers. All of them have beautiful designs and attractive advertisements which stimulate people to play and feel an easy winning opportunity.
How did the gambling addiction develop?
Gambling addiction begins easily and spontaneously. A person just wants to try luck, get rid of stress, have fun with friends, try himself as a movie actor and put on black. And then, people fall into the trap and want more adrenaline, dopamine and other neurotransmitters produced by the brain. The moment of winning gives such strong sensations that the player comes back to them again and again.
Moreover, while playing in some cases there is relaxation, removal of emotional stress, distraction from unpleasant problems, and the game becomes a pleasant activity. Based on this mechanism, gambling addiction gradually begins to develop.
Types of gambling addiction
There are several types of gambling addiction:
- online casinos,
- slot machines,
- sports betting,
- card games,
- gambling bets.
How Do I Know if I Have an Addiction?
Types of of addiction to gambling are divided into four groups. They all depend on each other, and become even worse together. You are in danger if they act together, and it is impossible to get out without the help of a psychologist:
- Psychology. A person is constantly under stress, experiencing depression, with a strong addiction. Sometimes, suicidal thoughts begin to visit him.
- Physiology. Problems with sleep, poor appetite, headaches and muscle pains, problems with the cardiovascular system. Sometimes people drink more alcohol and eat more fast food, which leads to nutritional imbalance.
- Social life. The gambling addict loses social skills, gradually loses friends and relatives, spoils relationships with others, which leads to social isolation.
- Finance. Gambling addicts constantly borrow money, get into debts.
Stages of gambling addiction development
Winning stage. When the taste of success comes, the gambler falls into an emotional loop. He/she wants to experience euphoria again and again. At this point, we can witness the beginning of gambling addiction. In the very beginning, it’s the easiest to help the patient, but it is at this stage that no one thinks about the coming disaster.
- Losing stage. Since it is impossible to win every time, and the only winner is the casino, the gambler starts to lose more and more money. With a desire to win back, a person begins to borrow money wherever possible, takes loans, sells staff. Other moments in life move into the background. The main thing is the process of the game and the hope to win back. A player tries not only to return the money, but to feel again that feeling of euphoria at the winning stage, but it doesn’t last long.
- Despair stage. At this stage, the gambling addict no longer has any money or close relations. Anything that tries to top him/her becomes absolutely evil. At this stage, there is a chance to go crazy and steal money, as well as threaten people. Occasionally the addict may have thoughts of stopping and quitting, but even with the biggest desire, it will last a couple of days without a game.
- Despair stage. This is a dead end for a gambling addict. He/She is completely disappointed in the game, understanding that it’s destroying him, but cannot stop. The addict is in depression and despair, often suffering from upcoming diseases like alcoholism or drug addiction. Suicidal thoughts approach them, and statistically, for a gambling addict, this is the way to get rid of problems. Nowadays, the patients are ready to fight this addiction.
How do Casinos help with Gambling Addiction?
Top online casinos NZ provide a set of restriction which limit a players game when notice a problem. Generally, online casinos can do the following:
- Set the deposit limits
- Block the account after a period of time
- Set the betting limits
- Freeze all action for some time
Check out the online casino with Responsible Gambling?
Help with gambling addiction
Gambling addiction has a powerful psycho-biochemical basis, and this means that it is almost impossible to recover on your own. The question: how to get rid of gambling addiction clearly arises when the gambling addict is on the fourth stage. Before that, a person denies a problem in every possible way.
Therefore, the first and most important step on the road to recovery will be realizing that there is a gambling addiction, and it exists.
Often this will require several conversations with a specialist doctor – psychotherapist.
Gambling Addiction Test
These questions are developed by scientists on the problems of gambling addiction. Everyone who may have problems in this area can do the test and roughly understand himself whether he is an addictive gambler. Ask these questions honestly!
- Have you missed work or school to gamble?
- Has gambling ever caused unpleasant situations?
- Has gambling ever affected your reputation badly? Have you ever felt pity after playing?
- Have you played to pay off your debts?
- Has gambling lowered your ambitions?
- After losing, did you feel that you need to come back and win back as soon as possible?
- Did you have a strong belief that after you won, you should come back and play even more?
- How often do you play until you lose everything?
- Have you ever borrowed to gamble?
- Did you have to sell anything in order to play?
- Does the concept of money for gambling exist for you, which you use only for gambling?
- Has gambling caused significant financial harm to you or your family?
- Have you ever played longer than planned?
- Have you ever played to forget about your troubles?
- Do problems or frustration keep you from playing?
- Have you ever broken the law in order to have money to play?
- Have you suffered from insomnia due to thoughts of gambling?
- Do you have a habit of celebrating your victories in gambling?
- Have you ever thought about suicide after losing?
If you answered yes to seven or more questions, you are advised to contact a specialist. The doctor will be able to more accurately determine your addiction and will help resolve your situation.
If you open the terms and conditions of any banking method and casino, you will see different policies. Kiwis may face a minimum deposit of $1, but usually, the minimum deposit ranges between 10 NZD and 20 NZD. However, the cash-out limits are higher and ranges between 20 NZD and 60 NZD. In most casinos, there are no fees, however, read the rules before entering the casino.
It’s very important to know how to handle the payout process. Because, knowing this you will be able to make it more convenient for yourself in terms of payout speed and commission amount. In order to payout safely you need to use safe methods. Usually, casinos use such methods: Cards, Credit cards, Debit cards, Prepaid cards and E-wallet.
E-wallets are the fastest method to make withdrawals or deposits. Usually, it takes from 0 to 72 hours to withdraw. However, the deposit process happens a lot faster, almost immediately.
How to withdraw?
The first step is to go to the cashier of your casino and select the options you would like to use. Then, fill in the free spaces with necessary information and click “withdraw”. However, before doing this, make sure you choose the right option. Check the average speed of the transaction and read the players comments, who chose the same option.
Payout process is one of the main ones in gambling industry. That’s why many premium casinos offer a lot of options and try to provide the fastest service on the market.
That is quite reasonable why a person might get a thought of starting its own online gambling business. It brings much profit, especially nowadays when online related industries are at the top. Just like the huge yearly revenues of online casinos, one has to spend the big sums of money for the business launch.
Gambling business requires many responsibilities and attention. The known stereotype about casinos that they are always cheating impose additional obligations on the casino owners. They have to license their business activity, get special certificates and constantly prove that they are safe and fair.
This ‘proof’ costs money which you as a potential owner need to pay at the very beginning. All the licenses, certificates and security technologies are the first instruments that you have to think of before you start. Not a single high roller or even a regular player will make funds into an ‘unknown’ casino without an official license.
However, in order to receive a license you need to accomplish several steps. First one is to create the company according to the laws of the country that allows running online casinos. They are usually small countries like Malta, Costa Rica, Gibraltar or it can be the UK, by the way. The company registration cost varies. In the UK it’s 550 euros, in Costa Rica you would have to pay almost 3,000 euros. However, Gibraltar and Curacao don’t take charges at all. So, let’s take the average cost of the registration of a legal entity – $1,000.
The site content is the most important. It’s the face of the online casino. The real money attractive games are what people come for to the online casinos. Basically, you need to make a deal with at least one software provider and have a minimum of 500 games in your casino lobby. Nevertheless, the more games and providers, the more customers. The price is different again. It varies from $10,000 to $150,000. It depends on the provider reputation and amount of games you purchase. Mind that you will have to pay commission from each game. About 15% from one game revenue goes to the provider. Averagely, you could pay about $50,000 for games including commission.
Finally, you can apply for the license. This step allows you to host servers and represent casino games worldwide (where they are accepted by laws, of course). Generally, the licensee is based in the same country where you registered your casino business. Accordingly, the price varies. For example, in the well-reputed Malta you can get the MGA license for about $18,000 + the same for annual fee, in total over $35,000. In Costa Rica you’ll pay totally $50,000. Besides, the license doesn’t last forever. It’s issued for several years. On average, 6 years is the expiry date. So, let’s assume that the first licensing costs $50,000 including the cost itself and annual fee.
Your casino site should be, first of all, clear and easy to navigate. Whenever a visitor enters the site, he or she must understand what the casino offers: games, bonuses, banking options, support, security and etc. Clarity, transparency and availability of all website options. The whole development of the website costs from $10,000 to $50,000. Though we can’t deny additional losses. Let’s take $50,000 for the website development stage.
This step is necessary for all businesses. In order to let people know about you, you need a marketing plan including advertising, SEO content and affiliates. Your minimal marketing losses can be $20,000. However, it doesn’t make much sense as it pays off quite a little. For the good profitable marketing system you can pay $100,000 and even $200,000 monthly. Additionally, you will have to pay a fixed sum and sort of 20% commission to the partners that brought you clients. All in all, for the advertising stage we have approximately $100,000 a month which annually is $1,200,000.
Here you should include, first of all, salaries for your staff. It should be a whole team of specialists in the fields of design, web development, security service, support, sales and marketing, finance and copywriting. In addition, you will have to maintain the site and its security system annually. The total cost of this all will be about $500,000 a year. It depends on the salary amounts you can afford, of course.
This is a specific amount of money you save in the bank as a guarantee that you are able to give payouts to your players. It can’t be used for taxes and other expenses. This is a necessary fund, and its minimum depends on the registration country. It will cost you about $100,000.
If we consider each expense given above, the online casino site costs $1,951,000 at the start. Still, you have to understand that this sum is not exact. In reality you may pay more or even less. Anyway, considering all the necessary and additional expenses, you need to have at least $2 million in your account to open and maintain the casino site during one year. With an excellent marketing plan you can compensate for the losses during a couple of years, or even less period of time.